Andrew S. Yoo, Ph.D.
Department of Developmental Biology
The general goal of my research is to understand molecular mechanisms underlying the specification of cell types and developing methods to alter the fates of cells in vitro and in vivo. We recently discovered that small RNA molecules, microRNAs, could promote generation of post-mitotic neurons by demonstrating that expression of neuron-specific microRNAs and neural factors in non-neuronal cell types could directly reprogram their cell fates into functional neurons. We currently aim to 1) develop tissue culture models of neurological diseases using patient-specific neurons and to study cell autonomous properties associated with disease states in induced neurons, and 2) to identify molecular mechanisms underlying the neurogenic activity of neuron-specific microRNAs. We will use multiple interdisciplinary approaches (including molecular genetics, genomics and biochemistry) to delineate how these microRNAs promote neuronal fates.
- Victor MB, Richner M, Olsen HE, Lee SW, Monteys AM, Ma C, Huh CJ, Zhang B, Davidson BL, Yang XW, Yoo AS. Striatal neurons directly converted from Huntington's disease patient fibroblasts recapitulate age-associated disease phenotypes. Nature Neuroscience. 2018 Feb 5. doi: 10.1038/s41593-018-0075-7.
- Abernathy DG, Kim WK, McCoy MJ, Lake AM, Ouwenga R, Lee SW, Xing X, Li D, Lee HJ, Heuckeroth RO, Dougherty JD, Wang T, Yoo AS. MicroRNAs Induce a Permissive Chromatin Environment that Enables Neuronal Subtype-Specific Reprogramming of Adult Human Fibroblasts. Cell Stem Cell. 2017 Sep 7;21(3):332-348.
- Huh CJ, Zhang B, Victor MB, Dahiya S, Batista LF, Horvath S, Yoo AS. Maintenance of age in human neurons generated by microRNA-based neuronal conversion of fibroblasts. Elife. 2016 Sep 20;5. pii: e18648. doi: 10.7554/eLife.18648.
- Richner M, Victor MB, Liu Y, Abernathy D, Yoo AS. MicroRNA-based conversion of human fibroblasts into striatal medium spiny neurons. Nat Protoc. 2015 Oct;10(10):1543-55.
- Victor MB, Richner M, Hermanstyne TO, Ransdell JL, Sobieski C, Deng PY, Klyachko VA, Nerbonne JM, Yoo AS. Generation of human striatal neurons by microRNA-dependent direct conversion of fibroblasts. Neuron. 2014 Oct 22;84(2):311-23.
- Yoo AS, Sun AX, Li L, Shcheglovitov A, Portmann T, Li Y, Lee-Messer C, Dolmetsch RE, Tsien RW, Crabtree GR. (2011). MicroRNA-mediated conversion of human fibroblasts to neurons. Nature. Jul 13. doi: 10.1038/nature10323.
- Yoo, A.S., Staahl, B.T., Chen, L., and Crabtree, G.R. (2009). MicroRNA-mediated switching of chromatinremodelling complexes in neural development. Nature 460, 642-646.
- Yoo, A.S., and Crabtree, G.R. (2009). ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling in neural development. Currunt Opinion in Neurobiology 19, 120-126.
- Yoo, A.S., and Greenwald, I. (2005). LIN-12/Notch activation leads to microRNA-mediated downregulation of Vav in C. elegans. Science 310, 1330-1333.
- Yoo, A.S., Bais, C., and Greenwald, I. (2004). Crosstalk between the EGFR and LIN-12/Notch pathways in C. elegans vulval development. Science 303, 663-666.
- Yu, H., Yoo, A.S.*, and Greenwald, I. (2004). Cluster Analyzer for Transcription Sites (CATS): a C++- based program for identifying clustered transcription factor binding sites. Bioinformatics 20, 1198-1200. *: corresponding author
- Yoo, A.S., Cheng, I., Chung, S., Grenfell, T.Z., Lee, H., Pack-Chung, E., Handler, M., Shen, J., Xia, W., Tesco, G., et al. (2000). Presenilin-mediated modulation of capacitative calcium entry. Neuron 27, 561-572.
For a complete list of Dr. Yoo's publications, click here
Education and Training
- 2011 - Postdoctoral fellow, Stanford University, CA, Chromatin biology and cell fate reprogramming
- 2005 - Ph.D. Columbia University, NY, Cellular, Molecular and Biophysical Studies
- 1998 - M.Sc. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Experimental Medicine (Neurology)
- 1995 - B.Sc. McGill University, Montreal, PQ, Canada, Physiology (with focus on Neurophysiology)
- August 2011 - present - Assistant Professor, Department Developmental Biology, Washington University School of Medicine
Honors and Awards
- WUSM Distinguished Investigator Award, 2018
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientist and Engineers (PECASE), 2013
- NIH Director’s New Innovator Award, 2012-2017
- Ellison Medical Foundation New Investigator in Aging Award, 2012-2016
- Mallinckrodt Foundation New Investigator Award, 2011-2013
- Helen Hay Whitney Foundation Fellowship, 2007-2010
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Postgraduate Award (for tenure at universities outside Canada), 2001-2003
- Honors in Neurophysiology, McGill University, 1995
You may also be interested in…
- Faculty Members
- Lilianna (Lila) Solnica-Krezel, Ph.D.
- Irving Boime, Ph.D.
- Angela Bowman, Ph.D.
- Aaron DiAntonio, M.D., Ph.D.
- Douglas F. Covey, Ph.D.
- Gregory A. Grant, Ph.D.
- Shin-ichiro Imai, M.D., Ph.D.
- Aaron N. Johnson, Ph.D.
- S. Kerry Kornfeld, M.D., Ph.D
- Kristen Kroll, Ph.D.
- Helen McNeill, Ph.D.
- Craig Micchelli, Ph.D.
- Mayssa Mokalled, Ph.D.
- Kelly Monk, Ph.D.
- Samantha A. Morris, Ph.D.
- Jeanne Nerbonne, Ph.D.
- David M. Ornitz, M.D., Ph.D.
- Zachary Pincus, Ph.D.
- Stacey Rentschler, M.D., Ph.D.
- John H. Russell, Ph.D.
- Thorold Theunissen, Ph.D.
- Andrew S. Yoo, Ph.D.
- Bo Zhang, Ph.D.
- Adjunct Faculty
- Joint Faculty Members
- Research Interests
- Emeritus Faculty
- Former Faculty
- Model Systems