Angela Bowman, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Center of Regenerative Medicine
Angela earned her PhD in Developmental Biology at Stanford University, and completed a postdoc at the University of California, Berkeley.
Angela serves as the Executive Director for the Center of Regenerative Medicine. Though she no longer does bench research, she is still very interested in staying abreast of current discoveries, especially in the area of retinal degenerations.
- Rinkevich Y, Montoro DT, Contreras-Trujillo H, Harari-Steinberg O, Newman AM, Tasi JM, Lim X, van Amerongen R, Bowman A, Januszyk M, Pleniceanu O, Nusse R, Longaker MT, Weissman IL, Dekel B. In vivo clonal analysis reveals lineage-restricted progenitor characteristics in mammalian kidney development, maintenance, and regeneration. Cell Rep. 7(4): 1270-83, 2014.
- Bowman AN, van Amerongen R, Palmer T, Nusse R. Lineage tracing with Axin2 reveals distinct development and adult populations of Wnt/ß-catenin-responsive neural stem cells. PNAS, 110(18): 7324-7329, 2013.
- van Amerongen R, Bowman AN, and Nusse R. Developmental stage and time dictate the fate of Wnt/B-catenin responsive stem cells in the mammary gland. Cell Stem Cell, 11: 387-400, 2012.
- Bowman AN, and Nusse, R. Location, location, location: FoxM1 mediates B-catenin nuclear translocation and promotes glioma tumorigenesis. Cancer Cell, 20: 415-416, 2011.
- Diehn M, Cho RW, Lobo NA, Kalisky T, Dorie MJ, Kulp AN, Qian D, Lam JS, Ailles LE, Wong M, Joshua B, Kaplan MJ, Wapnir I, Dirbas FM, Somlo G, Garberoglio C, Paz B, Shen J, Lau SK, Quake SR, Brown JM, Weissman IL, Clarke MF. Association of reactive oxygen species levels and radioresistance in cancer stem cells. Nature, 458:780-3, 2009.
- Diehn M, Cho RW, Dorie M, Kulp A, Weissman IL, Brown M, Clarke MF. Investigating the mechanisms of cancer stem cell radioresistance. Int J Rad Oncology, Biology, Physics, 72(1): S29, 2008.
- Diehn M, Cho RW, Dorie M, Kulp A, Weissman IL, Brown M, Clarke MF. Analyzing the sensitivity of breast cancer stem cells to ionizing radiation and chemotherapy. Int J Rad Oncology, Biology, Physics, 69(3): S38-S39, 2007.
- Smalley KS, Contractor R, Haas NK, Kulp AN, Atilla-Gokcumen GE, Williams DS, Bregman H, Flaherty KT, Soengas MS, Meggers E, Herlyn M. An organometallic protein kinase inhibitor pharmacologically activates p53 and induces apoptosis in human melanoma cells. Cancer Res. 67(1): 209-17, 2007.
- Fang D, Leishear K, Nguyen TK, Finko R, Cai K, Fukunaga M, Li L, Brafford PA, Kulp AN, Xu X, Smalley KS, Herlyn M. Defining the conditions for generation of melanocytes from human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells, 24(7): 1668-77, 2006.
- Fang D, Nguyen TK, Leishear K, Finko R, Kulp AN, Hotz S, Van Belle PA, Xu X, Elder DE, Herlyn M. A tumorigenic subpopulation with stem cell properties in melanomas. Cancer Research, 65(20): 9328-37, 2005.
- Undergraduate: B.A. in Biology, University of Pennsylvania, 2006
- Graduate: Ph.D. in Developmental Biology, Stanford University, 2012
- Postgraduate: Drs. John Flannery and David Schaffer, University of California, Berkeley
Honors and Awards
- CIRM Pre-doctoral Fellowship, 2010-2012
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2007-2010
You may also be interested in…
- Faculty Members
- Lilianna (Lila) Solnica-Krezel, Ph.D.
- Irving Boime, Ph.D.
- Angela Bowman, Ph.D.
- Aaron DiAntonio, M.D., Ph.D.
- Douglas F. Covey, Ph.D.
- Gregory A. Grant, Ph.D.
- Shin-ichiro Imai, M.D., Ph.D.
- S. Kerry Kornfeld, M.D., Ph.D
- Kristen Kroll, Ph.D.
- Craig Micchelli, Ph.D.
- Kelly Monk, Ph.D.
- Samantha A. Morris, Ph.D.
- Jeanne Nerbonne, Ph.D.
- David M. Ornitz, M.D., Ph.D.
- Zachary Pincus, Ph.D.
- Stacey Rentschler, M.D., Ph.D.
- John H. Russell, Ph.D.
- Andrew S. Yoo, Ph.D.
- Bo Zhang, Ph.D.
- Adjunct Faculty
- Joint Faculty Members
- Research Interests
- Emeritus Faculty
- Former Faculty
- Model Systems