Bo Zhang, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Our research interest focuses on understanding the connection between cell fate determination and regulatory mechanism of enhancer elements, which are short cis-acting DNA sequences that can perform regulatory functions to adjust the genes transcription in a fine-tune fashion. Different transcription factors and epigenetic regulatory mechanism can control the activation of enhancers during embryonic development, and regulate the expression of tissue-specific genes, independent of orientation and over various distances.
We develop bioinformatics tools to analyze the high-throughput sequencing data, and discover the epigenetic changes that associated with activation / silence of enhancer regulatory elements during embryonic development and carcinogenesis. We construct gene regulatory model to integrate the genetic variants, epigenetic modification, and enhancer activation, to explain the gene expression regulation in normal and cancer cell fate determination.
- EC Nelson, A Agrawal, AC Heath, R Bogdan, R Sherva, B Zhang, et al. Evidence of CNIH3 involvement in opioid dependence. Molecular psychiatry. 2015
- X Zhou, D Li, B Zhang, et al. Epigenomic annotation of genetic variants using the Roadmap Epigenome Browser. Nature biotechnology. 2015
- HJ Lee, RF Lowdon, B Maricque, B Zhang, et al. Developmental enhancers revealed by extensive DNA methylome maps of zebrafish early embryos. Nature communications. 2015
- Integrative analysis of 111 reference human epigenomes. Nature. 2015
- Lowdon RF, Zhang B, et al. ¬Regulatory Network Decoded from Epigenomes of Surface Ectoderm-Derived Cell Types. Nature Communication. 2014.
- B Zhang^, X Xing^, J Li^, et al. Comparative DNA methylome analysis of endometrial carcinoma reveals complex and distinct deregulation of cancer promoters and enhancers. BMC Genomics. 2014. ^ Equal contribution.
- Nagarajan RP^, Zhang B^, et al. Recurrent epimutations activate gene body promoters in primary glioblastoma. Genome Res .2014. ^ Equal contribution
- D Li, B Zhang, et al .Combining MeDIP-seq and MRE-seq to investigate genome-wide CpG methylation. Methods. 2014
- Zhang B^, Zhou Y^, Lin N^, Lowdon RF^, et al. Functional DNA methylation differences between tissues, cell types, and across individuals discovered using the M&M algorithm. Genome Res. 2013. ^ Equal contribution
- Xie M^, Hong C^, Zhang B^, et al. DNA hypomethylation within specific transposable element families associates with tissue-specific enhancer landscape. Nat Genet. 2013. ^ Equal contribution
- B Chen^, B Zhang^, et al. Distinct MicroRNA Subcellular Size and Expression Patterns in Human Cancer Cells. Int.J of Cell Biology. 2012. ^ Equal contribution
- B Zhang^, B Chen^, et al. Estimating developmental states of tumors and normal tissues using a linear time-ordered model. BMC bioinformatics 2011. ^ Equal contribution
- B Zhang^, B Chen^, T Wu^, et al. Estimating the quality of reprogrammed cells using ES cell differentiation expression patterns. PloS one. 2011
- Y Tan, B Zhang, et al. Transcriptional inhibition of Hoxd4 expression by miRNA-10a in human breast cancer cells. BMC molecular biology. 2009
- Research Assistant Professor: 2015 - present Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Saint Louis, MO, US
- Postdoctoral training: 2011 - 2015 Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Saint Louis, MO, US
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics: 2005 - 2010 Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- B.S. in Biotechnology: 2000-2004 Inner Mongolia University, Hohhot, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
You may also be interested in…
- Faculty Members
- Lilianna (Lila) Solnica-Krezel, Ph.D.
- Irving Boime, Ph.D.
- Angela Bowman, Ph.D.
- Aaron DiAntonio, M.D., Ph.D.
- Douglas F. Covey, Ph.D.
- Gregory A. Grant, Ph.D.
- Shin-ichiro Imai, M.D., Ph.D.
- Aaron N. Johnson, Ph.D.
- S. Kerry Kornfeld, M.D., Ph.D
- Kristen Kroll, Ph.D.
- Helen McNeill, Ph.D.
- Craig Micchelli, Ph.D.
- Mayssa Mokalled, Ph.D.
- Samantha A. Morris, Ph.D.
- Jeanne Nerbonne, Ph.D.
- David M. Ornitz, M.D., Ph.D.
- Zachary Pincus, Ph.D.
- Stacey Rentschler, M.D., Ph.D.
- John H. Russell, Ph.D.
- Thorold Theunissen, Ph.D.
- Andrew S. Yoo, Ph.D.
- Bo Zhang, Ph.D.
- Adjunct Faculty
- Joint Faculty Members
- Research Interests
- Emeritus Faculty
- Former Faculty
- Model Systems